Saturday, March 8, 2008

Honoring Gary Gygax

I was sad to read this week of the passing away of D & D founder Gary Gygax. I received the basic D & D set when I was about 10 and, during my middle school years, was an avid gamer. I still have all my original copies of the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and DM Guide - all of which I bought as they were initially released. I stopped playing in high school but I still occasionally venture into gaming stores (we have one nearby) where the site of the dice, miniature figures, Dragon magazine, and Avalon Hill box games (of which I also had several) fills me with a warm nostalgic glow. I glance at the notes on the board of people looking for games and think briefly about how enjoyable the pre-online notion of RPG was. Once I picked up a copy of Tom Wham's Snit's Revenge, to replace the Dragon magazine copy I used to have.

No comments: